Alright, I figured out a really neat way to keep acrylic paints wet for longer periods of time. Normally, they'll dry out within a few hours, but with this method you can keep them alive overnight. Just take a piece of waxpaper big enough to cover your paints, lay it over your palette, and on top of that place a wet washcloth or towel. This provides the necessary moisture to keep the paints workable. Of course, you'll have paint stick to the wax paper, but you can just remove it with your palette knife. BTW, this idea's not completely original, but it works great and I thought I'd share it.
Random artistic musings:
1. For oil paintings, wait about 6 months or longer (depending on the thickness of the paint) before applying a coat of varnish--this allows the paint to dry completely before you seal it. If you don't use varnish, or have never heard of it, I suggest you pick some up (most art stores carry it). Whether glossy or matte, it lends a look of uniformity to the painting surface, and serves to protect and preserve your work.
2. When using acrylics, make sure you thin your paint with water or medium when you want a smooth look. I'm still figuring out how to do gradiations, but it seems to me that the best method is to treat the paint kind of like watercolors.
3. CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES! (We already know this, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded) They won't last long if you don't. Sometime soon, I'm going to get a silicoil tank (see Utrecht's website) which is supposed to be one of the best tools for brush cleaning.
4. Tackle boxes are super for storing paint tubes, brushes, pencils and various other supplies. I got a $10 deal from WalMart and it's worked great. (I've been gathering supplies so I can do some plein air painting--I'll post a pic of my setup sometime).
5. Canvas boards are some of the best things ever invented. They combine the surface of canvas with the stability of a good backing--and they're cheap!! Definitely the best and most economical option for field painting.
I have no idea if any of you are interested in what I'm saying, but I'm sure having fun saying it!
May I Direct You To...
13 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment