Last year you may remember me posting that I had gotten 1st place in WA's Junior Duck Stamp contest, but had barely missed the Best of Show award which would have sent my painting to the national level. "Maybe next year..." Well, next year is here! Yesterday Mom took the family to Klineline pond for a few hours so I wasn't home when Dad got a call from Dave Falzetti, the state contest coordinator up in Olympia. Mom got Dad's call and I jotted down the number, with no idea who it was. But when I heard that he had called, I knew something was up, so I left a message and he got back to me a few minutes later, and said that my painting (see below) not only got 1st prize again, but Best of Show! That means it will represent Washington at the national competition (in fact, he told Dad that this was one of the best entries they've ever sent to D.C. to represent our state). Needless to say I'm really excited about it all, and you can be sure that I will post right when they announce the overall winners. Oh, and someone from the Columbian wants to interview me in the next day or two for an article in the paper. I'd be grateful for your prayers, especially that I will give a strong witness to my faith and glory to God through what I say.
About a week ago I sent off my entry for the (wouldn't you know it...) national State Fish Stamp competition, where you paint a realistic depiction of any state fish; the winning painting is made into a stamp. It's my first time entering--actually it's the first time I've ever painted a fish!--and I decided to paint a Cutthroat Trout (state fish of Wyoming and Montana). The contrast between the golden brown and blue makes this painting really dynamic.
"Flash of Gold"Benjamin Berkompas 2007acrylic on foamboard9x12"
No comments:
Post a Comment