Thursday, April 27, 2006

Junior Duck Stamp Results (2006)

They've posted the official national winners on their site (here's the link). I guess they had all the judging done by April 20. Here are the top three:

1st Place
15 year old Rebeka Nastav of Missouri won with her acrylic painting of a Redhead duck, entitled "Morning Swim" (I think she airbrushed the background--totally cool :)
2nd Place
Brett Cooper of Nebraska got second with his acrylic painting of two Canvasbacks (interesting style)
3rd Place
Brian Murillo of Iowa placed 3rd with his acrylic painting of a Lesser Scaup

It's neat to see so many young artists participating in something which encourages realism in art. I've got some ideas for next year, so I may post something about it later. I'm definitely not going to repeat the mistake of waiting until February to start painting! Oh, and I'll call today to see when and how they'll announce Washington placements.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 1st prize one is very beautiful! But the 2nd one is... um, yikes, it's not very good, is it? I mean I'm trying to be unkind, but it doesn't seem amazing enough to win 2nd prize to me? :/ Anyway, not to be depressing. ;) The other two (1st and 3rd) are quite lovely, especially the 1st prize one, wow!