Monday, April 24, 2006

Maybe Next Year...

Ever since I figured out that the Junior Duck Stamp contest judging was done around April 20, I've been on pins and needles waiting for the results. They hadn't sent out any information, so Dad suggested I call. I went to their website, found the contact info for Washington, and also found that someone else got WA's Best of Show and will go on to nationals (she's won 3 years in a row; here's a link to her painting). Oh, well. I've got at least 2 more years to compete--can't expect to win my first time around! (I may still get an award at the state level.) Hannah, when you asked on your blog what everyone wanted most, I said a humble heart. Looks like God is making my wish come true. :)

It would be lying to say I'm not dissapointed, but I've got plans for at least two other contests later this year. The bright side is, I'll have my painting back before the Evening of the Arts.

My advice for today: Leave those school books on your desk, and get outside!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, and you can forget about the surprise, cuz it didn't work out. Sorry!! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks for telling us so we wouldn't be on pins and needles. I'ms sorry you didn't win, but like you say there's always next year! :) P.S. You still shoulda won...

WHAT!?!? That's it, you're not even going to tell me what it would have been! *sniff* I'm going to die of curiousity. Cruel Benj. :D

Anonymous said...

Alright I guess my last comment was kinda' cruel. So, before you die of curiosity...:) I was going to do a painting for J's b-day, but it wasn't working, and I was too busy to finish it. I may get back to it this summer, but oil paint takes forever to dry!! Like a couple of weeks...so we'll see. :-)

But I've got some other stuff planned--like a modern abstract painting for the fair, to see if I can get a blue ribbon. (my big oil painting got an honorable mention a few years back, while some splatter painting got blue). I'm just curious how an abstract painting would go over, though I'm pretty much positive that's the style judge's look for. Some people... ;)

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean about the winners painting... Hmmm. As an artist, I wouldn't say it's all that impressive. I mean, the water is cool, but the ducks look fake. But there's always next year! :-D

What were you painting for Jonathan's birthday? Wasn't Duchy was it?? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I agree. The mallard drake just doesn't work. They posted the national winner a few days ago--that one's really good. Moreover, it was done by a 15 year old girl from Missouri--pretty impressive. (I'll post a link soon) And I think I know what most judges are looking for now, so next year I may do better.

No, it was a horse painting. I like the original idea, but had trouble making the horse look like it belonged. I don't know, maybe next time you're over we could take a look at it--I hate to just give up!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I see! Well, thank you, I think I'll survive now. ;) It sounds lovely, so I vote you continue on it. Besides, what about Jon?

A splatter painting got blue last year!? Wow, that's sad. I say you show them that there's a difference between a splatter painting and a splatter painting by a really artist. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'll probably try to finish it. Trouble is, the canvas is a really odd size--10"x20", so a frame won't be easy to find...

Ya, it was actually a few years ago, but I'm sure things haven't changed. There were a few good pieces that did well, but overall, the judges seem to prefer modern styles. A splatter painting would be very popular!

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a bright side, but it's not getting my painting back before June! I'll post in a bit ;)