Well, we heard back from the NRA art contest. It turns out that Matthew and I got honorable mentions in our categories! There were about 680 entries, so I'd say that's doing pretty good. Next year is my last chance to compete, so I'm hoping to place. You can see the winning entries here. The girl who won in the 7-9 grade category did a pencil drawing of a bighorn sheep, which was apparently the judge's favorite of all the entries. If you try a Google search you can find her online portfolio (artwanted.com or something) and see her horse drawings too.
May I Direct You To...
13 years ago




3 comments:
Well that's cool! Good job you two! :-D It's interesting to see what the judges pick as winning entries--I've always wanted to pick thier brains. I wonder if any of them are artists? The oldest category winner with the cougar for example...It didn't seem all that impressive in my view. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it didn't seem to fit thier 3 requirements as well as say the second place winner with the fox. That was a cool painting! I tried to do that same technique with the same color background with a deer, but it didn't turn out all that well. :-( Did you post a photo of the drawing you entered on here? I couldn't remember...
I've been saving the images for the past few years so I can determine what the judges are looking for. They seem to prefer a portrait/close up approach, which is why I painted my entry that way (see Wood Duck below). But sometimes they see something in a drawing that I just don't! :) I think all 4 of the judges are either proffesional artists or have backgrounds in art.
I liked the fox painting too--lot's of detail and a neat color scheme. Since next year's my last try at it, I really need to think hard about my subject and format. Something in pencil would be fun!
I forgot to send Jonathan home with that catalog I was telling you about on Sunday with the Terry Redlin art in it. It has more art then his and some of the stuff is right up your alley. I'll bring it today.
Post a Comment