Monday, October 16, 2006

Varied Thrush!

Yesterday I got my first acceptable shots of a Varied Thrush. The conditions were horrible for photography--rainy and overcast with very little light. But I used a flash and managed to expose the birds a little dark, but fixable in PS. It was funny--I saw about 5 birds out front foraging on the gravel about 25 ft. from the house. I a needed a low angle, and on of the garage doors happened to be open a bit. So I finally got a chance to use my groundpod (old frisbee with monopod head mounted on top :) and crawled up to the opening (under the van :).


The birds stayed about 25 ft. away, until one female came within about 13 ft. and just sat there while I fired away (using TTL flash). I couldn't get the males to come close, but I'll keep working on it. Both these shots were severely brightened, sharpened, and the background's blurred in PS, but I'm happy with them, and now just need to get some cooperative lighting.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry about the font size, Blogger is being unreasonable right now :)

(push control-plus to zoom in)

Anonymous said...

Oooooo; it gorgeous! I love how the reflection enhances the 2nd photo.

I've been meaning to ask you: when you "touch up" a photo is that considered still your own photography? Or should you say, "Oh, and I touched this up bit because you could barely see it," or something? I guess what I mean is, if you have a photo that's really cool, but it's too dark to see then fixing it up a little is acceptable?

Did that make sense? Never mind if you don't; it's rather hard to explain whatI mean... :/

Anonymous said...

Oooooo; it gorgeous! I love how the reflection enhances the 2nd photo.

I've been meaning to ask you: when you "touch up" a photo is that considered still your own photography? Or should you say, "Oh, and I touched this up bit because you could barely see it," or something? I guess what I mean is, if you have a photo that's really cool, but it's too dark to see then fixing it up a little is acceptable?

Did that make sense? Never mind if you don't; it's rather hard to explain what I mean... :/

Anonymous said...

Actually I know exactly what you mean :) There are a lot of photography purists out there who are against certain types of digital editing, but my philosophy is since the camera never captures the subject quite like it really was, I will edit it to improve the quality and bring it closer to reality. There are limits of course, but brightening, sharpening, contrast, and saturation adjustments are all used by the pros. We're in the digital age of photography, so why not take advantage of it? Personally I recommend adjusting photos if it will improve the result without making it unrealistic. That's the main reason I have Photoshop! ;)

If you captured an image the copyright is yours, no matter how you manipulate it. But you should definitely disclose that you edited your work so people don't get a wrong impression of your gear or work ;) Sorry, that was long-winded. Hope it made sense!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the long-winded answer!! :) That's *just* what I was asking and have been wondering about that for quite sometime. I agree with you about making a photo viewable and pleasing if needed and yet justly saying you used Photoshop so that people can know... Yeah, so now I can try cool things wiht my photos, haha. :D

Thanks much! :)

Anonymous said...

Good job on the contest entries! the painting are all great and I love that photo of the Chickadee. Its really cool! See, I told you that I'd get on here and stay on here long enough to download the pics eventually! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and btw, happy birthday! :-) One more year until you're officially old! :-D

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for visiting! You mean I've got one year left?! :)

Anonymous said...

Uhhh... yeah, until you end up like Jonathan and I---Old and boring. :-) But evidently still good photo material. ;-) that was really funny when you zoomed by with your camera last night. :-)