So, I guess it's about time I posted here again. Glad you agree. :)
My evening is running out, but in the time I have left before I go do the laundry and make a recon. mission to Walmart, let's consider the topic of Christian art.
This is a tricky subject, so I will narrow it down a bit and discuss a very basic definition of "Christian art" - what it is, and what it isn't.
I'll be drawing a lot from a recent Generations broadcast done by Kevin Swanson and Dave Beuhner, called What's Hanging on the Walls of Your Home? One of the things that they bring out in the program is the fact that Christian art should be very real. I'm sure you've seen the simplified depictions of Noah's ark, with pudgy little Noah and his cute animal friends aboard an absurdly unseaworthy "bathtub boat" floating around in the sun. I certainly hope you don't think that's what the Flood was actually like. That picture might be "cute" in a sense, but it's entirely unrealistic and in no way does it reinforce the fear of Almighty God, but instead it completely ignores the very reason God brought the Flood in the first place!
Now am I saying that you shouldn't buy your kids Noah's Ark plush toys? No, I'm just using this as an example of the shallowness of "Biblical" imagery today. Art, as a tool for Christian dominion has taken 100 steps backwards into the realm of the utopian, the surreal and the rapturistic.
It's time we got a healthy dose of reality in our art. Later on I'll expand more on this, but feel free to comment if you have any thoughts or disagreement.
May I Direct You To...
13 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment