Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"Freedom"

Well, after working most of the day, I finished my pencil drawing of the Bald Eagle, which I started yesterday. Pencil is such a great medium for me since I can usually finish something really fast, and still do a good job. Working in black and white, and interpreting color values is also an important skill to have. Anyway, this morning I began with my favorite part--the eye.


I then laid in the dark wing feathers, completed the beak and began detailing the plumage.


The head feathers were challenging but I think I captured them pretty well. I'm pleased with it. The lighting isn't very strong, but the contrast between the darker values in the background and the white of the eagle is really compelling. The pose is also very cool--I can understand why this is our national bird.


The very first thing I ever drew in art class was a group of candleholders in pencil, and it feels great to go back to that medium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful rendition of our the bird that represents our freedom.