1. To begin with, open two images that you want to combine. For some strange reason I thought of using a rose, and a digital image of an American flag.

2. Go to Image-Adjustments-Levels and play around with light and dark balance if necessary. I took a brush and wiped out a few distracting details in the corners.

3. Once again go to Image-Adjustments-Desaturate and you'll get a grayscale version of your image.

4. At this point you need to activate your other picture, and drag it into the former using the "Move" tool. You'll need to duplicate the background layer (right click on it) and delete the original--it was locked and you couldn't rearrange layers. I placed the flag layer (after resizing it) underneath the rose.
5. Then, in the layers palette, find the dropdown menu that says "Normal" and select another option. I used "Multiply." Wallah! the flag now shows through the highlights of the rose. Go back to the Levels option and play around with the lights/darks until you like it. BTW it's fine if you think my example's ugly (I kinda' do), but at least it's patriotic!

This is my current desktop, made with the same photo. After all, "roses are blue, violets are green..." ;-)




3 comments:
I wonder why the second picture is lower quality? I saved it the same as the rest--oh well, ya'll don't care anyway.:)
Hey, thanks for the tutorial. :) I'll have to try it sometime.
Well, I'm not the only one. I call it "artistic liberty." :)
"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid."
-Jules Feiffer
Post a Comment