Saturday, March 18, 2006

Watercolor Portfolio

Sorry, it's been awhile. A few weeks ago, I sorted through all the things I had hanging on my wall, and decided to take photos of most of my artwork. Today, I'm just posting a few watercolors I've done over the years--that's one medium I'd love to get better at!

A few months ago, I had a strong urge to paint icebergs. I found some photos, made some sketches, and got a few paintings done while my inspiration lasted. I got a book on watercolor for Christmas a few years ago, and I did a few of the projects he suggested. This is one of them. Jonathan says it looks like Narnia.
While I was in Mrs. Cherrington's art class, she invited a watercolor artist, Lee Bauman (I think that's how you spell it) to come teach us. Here's one of the projects he had us do. Sometime I'll post the others (one in particular is pretty crazy), but this one's my favorite.

Here's a fun fantastical landscape that I painted a while ago. Well, I have more pictures, but they're not loading right now, so that's it. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the beautiful leaf one is my favorite! :) And that one of the snow does look like Narnia... I was looking through them before I read what you'd said about them and it definitely stood out as Narnia-ish! It really looks so real!

Benjamin Berkompas said...

Thanks. Watercolor's a fun (albeit difficult-to-control) medium. I'd say more but I think Ravel is messing with my brain--they're playing some of his music on the classical station :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, I know what you mean about some types of classical music; it's weird, huh? ;)

Oh, and I was thinking, maybe if you set a date for the surprise it might help the suspense, ya know? :D Maybe? :P

Benjamin Berkompas said...

If I did that, it might partially give it away. You're curious aren't you? :)

Hehehe, I'm determined to keep it that way :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am curious and now I'm even more so! How could a date give away a project you're working on (and to me, especially)!?!? Bother. :D

Benjamin Berkompas said...

Ya, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. The date's important, but I can't really say why ;) Let's just say, about a month.

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo! well, I suppose I can bare it. :D

A cool link you might enjoy:http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

Benjamin Berkompas said...

You'll have to...

Cool site. I really need to play around with the colors on my blog. So you just paste the number into the appropriate spot in your template? I can't figure out how to change fonts :0--not that I have any to use...:)

Oh, I accidently copied the "enjoy" part of your sentence into my URL bar and Firefox (my browser) told me: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (enjoy) isn't associated with any program." *lol* :)

Anonymous said...

;P

Yep, just copy and paste. Never have been able to figure out the fonts... but that was a while ago, so I'll have to try again with my new template and see how it works. i'll let you know. :)

Lol! =OD

Benjamin Berkompas said...

chels: very cool. I'm trying to think what kinds of things I could donate. Paintings are a really good idea. I did one of a lily before we left this weekend, but the pic wouldn't upload. The flower was covered in water drops--I love painting those!

oh, you should paint some icebergs--every artists should...don't ask me why

I've got an "American Painter" brush too. But most of my others are "Leow Cornell." They work really well, and the price is perfect!

Benjamin Berkompas said...

Well, apart from using really dark colors, and lots of pigment, you could just keep layering with darks. I never thought you could really layer with w-colors, but the author of that "Painting Spectacular Lighting Effects" book does that a lot. If it just doesn't work, you might look into getting some gouache--it's like opaque w-color. I bet Joanne's would have some.

I'm considering painting some greeting cards, either in watercolor or acrylics, and making photocopies.