Monday, March 13, 2006

Painting 'en plein air'

That's just a term used for painting outdoors. I tried it on Friday--in the snow. I decided to hike all the way to state land to the top of a hill, lugging my easel, stool, painting supplies and a camera. It was sunny and warm most of the time I painted, but as I progressed I noticed some none-too-friendly clouds coming my way which made me speed things up a bit.


I think it must have taken me from 45 minutes to an hour to finish--turned out pretty good though. I took the idea for the sky from one direction and the hills and trees from another. Some people say that's unfair, or 'not the way it really was' but I don't care as long as it improves my painting. =P I'll definitely be doing more of that this summer.


Oh, and we're sending off my duck stamp painting today. I ought to know how it did within a month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Benj! I really like it. :)

Benjamin Berkompas said...

Thanks. I got a few books on impressionistic painting which should be fun to study this summer, just not in the snow ;)