Friday, March 03, 2006

My First Horse Sketch

Seriously, I've never tried drawing a horse before--I've painted one, but that was a flop.:) I liked the way canvas paper takes graphite, and even if it isn't the greatest surface for finished drawings, it's better for that than for oils!! It's got a very grainy surface, but nice for quick sketches.

Here's where I am with the duck stamp. I finally finished the sky, and am repainting the mountains and ducks. With about a week and a half left, I'm going to have to hurry a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo, the horse sketch, it looks so real! :O I've always been afraid to draw anything real because the one or two time I tried it turn out sooo bad that it mad me sad to look at it! It looked so odd and ugly that I felt bad for it and couldn't draw anything like that again for fear it would turn out badly, too. :/ ha!

The duck stamp looks great! I can't wait to see the finished copy. :) I hope you win!

Benjamin Berkompas said...

It's not that tough if you just get the shapes right. Whenever I start a painting, I always draw a design on a seperate piece of paper using a grid, and then transfer it onto my surface. Photoshop has a "Show Grid" option in View, which you can adjust in Edit-Preferences-Grids and Slices (or something like that). Then you just draw a grid with the same amount of squares on your paper and draw what's inside each one. Or you can just trace--I've done both.

Thanks, I'm almost ready to work more on the ducks--should be finished in about a week.